Thursday, February 13, 2014

You Blinded Me With Science

In 1983 I had a science teacher that taught me both sides of the story or theory of how the world came to be. He was pretty amazing, in that out of the box he found another book that did teach me all about evolution. He was a bit older than the man I would get assigned to the following year. I would not only change schools, I would change worlds and be put into a city, at age 15, I quickly adjusted. I was also alone to get places and do things for the first time in my life. It was an adventure I will never forget, but it would also prepare me to be with two little girls a little more than a decade later. I think about that girl who was 15 and all the things I did those 2 years and the places I went.

 I learned more about the history of Korea then I knew about my own country. My Dad had been there in 1961 and had worked there on and off for as long as I could remember. By 1986 he had finished what he strongly wanted, some fiber optics cable was finally laid between some place and another.

My husband would go there, and  I followed with our daughters in 1997. We were able to see with a camera my father in law at the college he worked at...technology had moved so fast in those 12 years. When I was a 15 often my Dad would bring me to his work early in the morning, and I would talk to a friend in the states. Hello...hello, how are you, how are you....the constant echo of your own voice waiting for the other person to respond was interesting, you'd wait to finally hear the other person on the end of the line.

Nice rabbit trail my brain went on....but it brings me back to science class in school. The teacher I got in 1985-1986 truly believed that the world was put here by evolution and taught me so many theories as fact, like he had been there. He wasn't your old science teacher either, he was a young boyish looking married guy who could of passed for a student. We went head to head with our brains and I often wonder whose brain won. I was taken out of the game with a short circuit of sorts taking a wrong step into his court and trying to see the world with out God in it, while he continued with his class. I would talk to him again in 1997 via my art teacher. Not sure what all either one knew about me, but it was interesting to have to leave at certain times in my life and not know the rest of the story as Paul Harvey puts it.

I often wonder what it is like to live in one place all your life, and see how other people live for your entire life. As my seventh year in this town ends in July...I wonder if there will be an 8th, and what a decade in the same location feels like. Part of me wants to settle down and spend the next how ever long God would have me on this planet in one spot and the other, says OH LET'S PACK, LET'S SEE MORE OF THE WORLD, let's change the location of the silver ware one more time. Then I think just bury it somewhere with a note and let some one else find it. Maybe by then I would be dead but someone else would have it to learn about an adventure.

No comments: